In this post I’ll give you the essentials for what to pack and how to pack! Plus some style inspo!
Lets start with how to pack….
Over the years I’ve encountered and made friends with many flight attendants and they will all give you the same advice…don’t fold your clothes. ROLL THEM! As a flight attendant they travel weekly living out of carry on bags and I’ve gotten some of my best packing tips from them as well as a few of my own from mistakes I’ve encountered!
So now that we know you need to roll your clothes lets move on to what kind of clothes to pack!
Leggings (versatile) Wear a flowy shirt over them, under a dress, or under jeans if it gets really cold!
Leggings + a sweater = you warm on a cloudy mid 60’s day
Leggings and a flowy tank = straight from the airport, comfy, and weather appropriate in May
Tank tops (your best friends) Dress it up. Dress it down. Layer it. Wear it to bed.
Going zip lining in Thailand? Or just looking for an outfit to wear during an active adventure? Tank top + sports bra + jean shorts ( or sub an athletic short) = comfy and ready for adventure!
Flowy shirt or loose t-shirt. Goes great over leggings and you can always tuck it in for a more polished look especially with shorts
Flowy T-shirt + leggings = effortless
White button down shirt or Oxford shirt (easy to dress up or down and always looks polished)
Plaid never disappoints!
A maxi dress or skirt (one that does not require a special bra to be worn and that can easily be thrown on or off especially over a bathing suit) I always bring a longer one just in case the forecast predicts cloudy and you need some coverage on your legs.
Hello spring skirt! If you’re not trying to walk the entire city of Rome in heels I’d recommend a nice flat, strappy sandal, or a small wedge. Save the heels for dinner and drinks! Or don’t…you’re on vacation.
Cute sweater, and/or a cardigan. Easy way to stay warm and still look cute!
I give you the perfect airport outfit! Beanie + tank top + leggings + cardigan + converse = ready for anything
Rainy and cold mid summer in Boston. No problem! Sweater + Maxi = Warm and cozy. Oh, and a cute boy!
Light jacket that can double for a rainy day. You may not use it but if you do need it…you will be SO THANKFUL
Rain boots are always a good idea in spring!
Don’t fear the colored jackets! Spring is perfect for pastels!
A pair of pants! I usually bring a denim pair in a dark wash and a material pant (black). Feel free to play with color though! Since I’ve demonstrated denim in the other photos here are some fun patterns and colors. Get inspired!
And finally! Beanies and Hats! Because beanies will be your saving grace after an 8 hour flight and wide-brimmed hats will be your street style wind and I’ve been swimming all day savior.
Now every girls favorite part SHOES! You’ve rolled all your clothes nicely and packed them away and now you need to pack your shoes…..you bought some new ones just for vacation but you also have shoes that have been through the amazon jungle and back….No problem! Wrap each pair in a plastic bag that you get from grocery shopping. Some people say to use shower caps. That works too but I know I don’t have many shower caps lying around….
Now what shoes to pack? In a carry on I recomend three types of shoes for spring
1) The Everyday shoe. Make sure it’s easy to slip on and off so you can wear it on the beach, around town, or to a cafe
2) The Dinner Shoe. Something with a small heel, a flat, a wedge, or full heel if you’re up to it after a day of exploring!
3) The Activity Shoe. Something with support thats gonna keep your feet comfy while you run and play
Doc Martens! Perfect for fall-spring! Plus they’re water proof! Take that rain!
Converse are the perfect casual sneaker for hiking up a volcano! Not to mention they come in fun colors!
The most important acessory for spring….an UMBRELLA! (Make sure to bring a plastic bag with you because if you use it your gonna need to store it!)
Last but certainly not least….what to bring in your makeup bag! These items are ESPECIALLY important for spring and could make or break your trip!
1) Allergy medicine – Every country has their own set of wonderful allergens and pollen. You never know how you might react! In Rome I had AWFUL allergies. No idea why. Now I bring a few allergy pills to get me by! Especially important in Spring.
2) Sunscreen – The biggest sham all over the world! Most countries have never heard of travel sizes and oh yeah….the cheapest one is 15 euros or 1500 bahts….Just bring it.
3) Aloe Vera Gel – Speaking of suncreen…sometimes you forget to bring it to the beach with you…after you made sure to pack it. This guy comes in HANDY!
4) BLISTER BAIND AIDS – Those shoes you just bought for this vacation that you forgot to brake in…OUCH! I always bring a small variety of band aids but the blister ones always get used the most.
5) Ibuprofen – Laying out in the sun all day can give you a head ache and then all you want to do is go to bed. Also that screaming baby on the flight over left you feeling like all day is about to spent in your hotel room. This guy will come in handy. TRUST ME.
6) Cold medicine – I bring a few packets of dayquil/nyquil. Because spending all day touching railings, in and out of cabs, and through crowded museums can leave behind a few cold bugs that I know I’d rather not deal with for the rest of my trip. Not to mention that asking for cold medicine at a pharmacy in another country can present challenges all on its own.
7) Sensodyne toothpaste – A lot of dentist friends recommend bringing this travel toothpaste on vacation because if there is anytime you don’t want a sensitive tooth…it’s your expensive vacation.
Hope this helps you on your spring vacation!
City Girl Riss